Family pets perish in Catalina house fire - The Explorer: News

Family pets perish in Catalina house fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:24 am | Updated: 11:42 am, Tue Oct 18, 2011.

Smoke detectors helped save the human occupants of a Catalina home from a fire yesterday, but their family pets were not as fortunate.

On Oct. 17 at about 4:30 p.m., crews from the Golder Ranch Fire District responded to a reported house fire in the 4200 block of E. Pinto, near Columbus.

Firefighters were met by the resident, who told them she had returned home from work to find her house full of smoke and the smoke detectors sounding.

The resident also told the crews that she had opened a bedroom door and found the room filled with heat and smoke. She then closed the door and left the building.

Firefighters entered the house, where they found smoke and charring around the same door that the resident had closed. When they entered the room, the crews found heavy smoke with moderate heat.

It appeared the fire had burnt itself out prior to the firefighters' arrival. Crews investigated further and found that two of the family's pets had perished inside the structure.

The fire was contained to a single bedroom because the closed door prevented the fire from spreading and smoke detectors alerted the occupants to possible danger.

Golder Ranch Fire District reminds the public to have a working smoke detector in their home and to change the batteries yearly.

© 2014 The Explorer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Kino College

Kino CollegeEnroll today: http://www.kinocollege.com/

GoPro: Father/Son Road Trip to Oklahoma's High Point

We did a father, son, son road trip from Tucson, Ariz., to stand on the highest point in Oklah...

Featured Videos

Spacer4px

Online poll

Follow us on Facebook