The Northwest Fire District responded to a home in the 6900 block of North Eclipse Pl. at 9:46 p.m. Sunday night, after the homeowner and her two children arrived home to find heavy smoke within their house.
Crews arrived within four minutes to find the house with heavy black smoke and high heat within the structure. After a brief search, the fire was located and extinguished. The fire was placed under control within four minutes of their arrival, according to Northwest Fire officials.
The flames were relatively small compared to the heavy black smoke within the structure, according to the first arriving engine company. The crews were informed of two small dogs that were in the house at the time of the fire and firefighters were able to locate both small dogs. Unfortunately, both had succumbed to smoke inhalation prior to the arrival of the crews.
The homeowner, 53, and her two young children, twins aged 10 (boy and girl) were uninjured, but will be displaced from the home as a result of the heavy smoke damage and fire damage. The Northwest Fire Community Assistance Program responders were at the scene to help with shelter and additional needs after the fire.
Northwest Fire investigators at the scene have determined that an abandoned candle was the cause of the fire. The homeowner stated to investigators that she may have left a candle burning in the family room prior to leaving around 8 p.m. to run family errands.
Northwest Fire reminds everyone that all open flames including candles should be extinguished prior to leaving a home or retiring for the night. Never leave a flame unattended in a home. Damages were estimated to be approximately $10, 000.
Northwest Fire responded with 3 engine companies, a ladder company and a rescue company along with support units and brought 23 firefighters to the scene.