(Family Features) Unforgettable summer moments are typically defined by family, friends and great weather — and made even more memorable by the meals. Take this summer to a new level of festive by adding fresh pops of color to everyday meals and outdoor celebrations. Whether it’s an after-work steak on the grill, happy hour with your favorite chilled drinks or a frozen treat by the pool, ALDI has all the must-haves for a summer of color at prices up to 50 percent less than traditional grocers.
For inspiration, try these warm weather tips from food stylist and loyal ALDI shopper Janice Stahl:
- Mason Jar Salad: Keep salads fresh and delicious by layering nutritious goodies in a mason jar. Start with dressing on the bottom, then layer veggies, cheese, lettuce and your favorite protein or topping. Everything stays separate and dressing-free until you toss the salad together in a bowl.
- Sweet Summertime: End your meal with a light but special sweet treat by serving fruit for dessert. Summer fruits can be baked, grilled, frozen or simply used as fresh pops of color on top of your favorite sorbet.
- A Toast to Summer: Raise a glass this summer in a toast to refreshing seasonal beverages for all ages. From the sunny yellow of lemonade to the ruby red of sangria, these drinks can double as centerpieces for all your backyard get-togethers.
ALDI style tip: Fill ice cube trays with lemon juice, fruit or fruit juice to add to your drinks. This will help keep them from getting watered down as the ice melts.
Summer Grilling Tips
- Prevent food from sticking by oiling your hot grill rack with an oil-soaked paper towel. Hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack.
- Before using a marinade, divide it into two containers. Use one part as a marinade and the other as a dipping sauce, once the food is cooked.
- Grill meat with a dry spice rub instead of a traditional sauce. Supply a buffet of sauce choices that complement the rubs for guests to choose and try.
- Use cinnamon sticks in place of skewers when grilling fruit kabobs. These spicy skewers not only hold the fruit together, but also impart a bit of flavor as they caramelize on the grill.
With these simple tips and recipes, you’ll be ready to celebrate summertime anytime. Visit www.aldi.us for more ideas.
Recipe: Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Cake
- 1/2 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup raspberry sherbet, softened
- 4 ounces loaf cake, sliced
- To make lemon curd: In medium sauce pan, combine lemonade concentrate and 1/4 cup sugar, bring to boil. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. In medium bowl, whisk remaining sugar with eggs. Slowly temper lemonade mixture into eggs; whisking small amount in at a time until all of lemonade mixture is incorporated.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Slowly bring to simmer over medium heat and continue whisking until thick and resembles pudding, about 3 minutes. Strain lemon curd into medium bowl, place over bowl of ice water. Whisk butter into lemon curd, stirring every 5 minutes until mixture is reduced to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To assemble cake: Line one pound loaf pan with plastic wrap, spread vanilla ice cream on bottom, followed by raspberry sherbet, lemon curd and top with loaf cake slices. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 2 hours. To serve, invert cake and slice.
Makes 8 servings
Recipe: Broccoli Salad with Bacon & Tomatoes
- 1 head broccoli
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2cup raisins (optional)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash broccoli thoroughly. Cut head into florets, and stem into small bite-sized pieces.
- Place broccoli in medium bowl. Add crumbled bacon, onion, raisins, cheese and cherry tomatoes.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add to broccoli mixture; toss until well coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 servings
Recipe: Pineapple Mint Jalapeno Smoothie
- 1 pineapple, peeled and diced
- 8 mint sprigs
- 3/4 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- In blender, puree all ingredients. Pour into glass and enjoy.
Makes 8 cups