The Explorer: Letters To The Editor

Letters To The Editor

Wednesday 07/23/2014
Good job OVPD
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

Mr. Strangio is complaining because he was stopped for the third time, doing 41 in a 30 mph? You say you are here to be closer to your children. I wonder what you would say if someone was doing 41 in a 30 mph zone and hit one of them.

Comments (1)
The new American way
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

This is not a garden variety letter to the editor. I am not complaining about the Oro Valley Town government, the traffic on Oracle Road, the driving habits of snowbirds, or the herd of Javelina that sometimes peek at me over the small wall in front of my house in Rancho Vistoso.

Comments (0)
Upset with Sheriff Babeu
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

One would think that law enforcement officers would enforce the law rather than try to circumvent it.  Apparently Pinal County Sheriff Babeu missed that part of his orientation to be a sheriff.  He said his appearance in Oracle on the 16th was to provide information to the community about these undocumented minors, something he said that the federal government wasn’t doing.

Comments (0)
Question for Mr. Strangio
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

In the July 19 issue of The Explorer, Joseph Strangio asks for and receives room to “vent” (his word).  I’d like the same privilege.  He vents about being stopped for the third time “in less than a year” by an Oro Valley motorcycle patrolman.  He refers to the reason for his last stop as the “egregious crime” of driving 41 mph in a 30 mph zone.  He says he was sipping coffee.  He goes on about feeling as though he’s living in a repressive state and tells of his military service and his life as a productive citizen, then accuses Oro Valley of trying to raise money by issuing traffic tickets “left and right” to people who are basically “law abiding citizens”.

Comments (0)
Follow the law instead of complaining
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

If Joseph Strangio doesn’t like the speed limits on Oro Valley roads he should petition to change them.  Speed limits are laws, not guidelines. Driving down the road drinking a cup of coffee while speeding and then complaining about being held accountable for doing so, really?  I trust Oro Valley’s finest won’t hesitate enforcing our traffic laws because some folks don’t like being held accountable.

Comments (0)
Response to “Cannot Vote for Hiremath”
Posted: July 23, 2014 - 4:00 am

Selecting a candidate for public office based purely on his/her support for same-sex unions is as silly as selecting a candidate based purely on skin color or gender witness our recent national experience with a sitting president and with a former Secretary of State).  I expect my plumber to fix my leaks, my electrician my lights, and my doctor my health.  Correspondingly, I expect my elected officials to fix broken government, to lead with honesty and integrity, to control spending and budgets, to battle bureaucratic growth, to maintain open and transparent government, and to respond promptly and fairly to constituents’ needs and requests.  And, yes, to fill the potholes in my street.  Any other expectation lies outside the scope of good governance and is nonsense.

Comments (0)
Tuesday 07/22/2014
With age comes wisdom?
Posted: July 22, 2014 - 4:26 pm

After reading the letter from Joseph Strangio in the last edition I felt the terrible bursting of a bubble in my life.  I have always lived under the assumption that with age comes wisdom.  Pushing 66 this week, I have hoped and prayed that I will live long enough to gain wisdom.  I am not very hopeful anymore.  I am not sure how old Joseph is but he did consider himself to be an “old fogey”.  After three tickets, I would have hoped that he would be smart enough and have enough wisdom to realize how to avoid getting stopped.   All he has to do is obey the traffic laws.

Comments (0)
Wednesday 07/16/2014
Upset with Oro Valley Police
Posted: July 16, 2014 - 4:00 am

Please afford an Oro Valley citizen time to vent.  I was just stopped by an Oro Valley motorcycle officer for the third time in less than a year.  My egregious crime? 41 mph in a 30 mph zone.  Another 200 dollar or so ticket.  I should establish a Bill Pay account to the city of Oro Valley for $200 a month.

Comments (13)
Hiremath and crew are single minded
Posted: July 16, 2014 - 4:00 am

I enjoy reading The Explorer and appreciate the coverage of local politics.  In the June 25 issue I read that OV looks to expand its streamlined development process.

Comments (1)
Wednesday 07/09/2014
Home Rule is code for urban sprawl
Posted: July 09, 2014 - 4:00 am

According to your article by Chris Flora, voters in Oro Valley will be asked to decide how much money they will approve to provide municipal services. Although the council uses the term Home Rule one has to wonder if it is just “code” for approving proposed urban sprawl and the secondary property taxes to pay for it.

Comments (3)

MOS: Monsoon Season

We asked the community about the Monsoon Season.

Spacer4px